nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting suggestions

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting suggestions
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 18:40:26 -0500

On Nov 2, 2009, at 10:23 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

Ginda wrote, "In my experience, parafilm works great for sealing the graft,
but is not sufficient for binding it in place."

That probably depends on how you do it. I use only parafilm with good
success. Non-adhesive electrical tape works good too and may be easier to
obtain on short notice.

When I teach grafting we do whip-and-tongue and cleft grafting only
because I have about a 95% success rate compared to a poor success rate
doing budding. Budding only gets a brief mention in my classes.

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but I've had about 95% success with twig budding using rubber bands and a good sealer (parafilm, grafting compound, strips of plastic bags) and almost total failure using parafilm alone. Of course, I've done these in different years, and haven't done a ton of grafts, so maybe it's just coincidence, or because I picked different weather, or something like that.

I tried cleft grafting of buds and had problems with the "flaps" of bark growing in ways that hurt the union. I need to try the bud grafting as described by Sarah Ewing. That looks safer.

Ginda