nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Electrolized water wash

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Electrolized water wash
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 10:35:33 -0600

Not sure how that would be different from a mild chlorine solution. It must be the chlorine that is doing the disinfecting and the concern with chlorine is always that in certain forms it is extremely toxic to people.

Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

Jim Fruth wrote:
I've been reading about a relatively new method of washing fruit and produce that, according to the USDA, is approved for killing E. coli, Salmonella, Campylobacter and Listeria. The produce is washed in electrolyzed water that is used in greenhouses and nurseries to prevent diseases and the spread of fungi as well as extending the shelf life of cut flowers and ornamental plants and for washing hands.
Electrolyzed water is a .1 solution of sodium chloride that has been subjected to a low voltage electric current. It is claimed to be more effective at killing bacteria on foods than bleach or heat treatments. In Japan, it is being used to sterilize medical equipment at to treat wounds.
The low voltage current passes through the solution of salt and tap water separating the sodium chloride into two solutions, Sodium hydroxide (NaOH) and Hypochlorus Acid (HOCl).
I plan to start using it to wash my apples prior to being pressed for cider.
Are any of the rest of you using it?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472