nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Bill's pluot evaluations

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Bill's pluot evaluations
  • Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 09:50:06 -0500

It was fun to read of the experiences of someone trying new varieties, but not necessarily very instructive. Young trees with just a few fruit can be very misleading.

I'm sure that's right. If nothing else, weather must make a big difference, and our weather was far from typical this year (although it's usually pretty variable).

It is not at all unusual for me to jump to conclusions about the superior quality of the fruit from a young sparsely bearing tree. It's hard not to scream from the rooftop about a new variety you're excited about, but a reliable evaluation takes about 10 years, IMO.

I hope that works the other way, too! Or will I be more likely to be disappointed in the taste of Flavor Supreme pluots in the future than pleasantly surprised by the other two varieties?

:-)

To be honest, I think that part of my enjoyment of Flavor Supreme was because of their ripening date, which came before I was swamped with other fruit. By the time I got fruit from the other two varieties, I'd been eating so much fruit (nectarines, peaches, plums, etc.) that likely nothing would have wowed me. To some extent, that might be why my Flavor Grenade pluots were popular when I gave them away, but not so much with me.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Women are the most powerful magnet in the universe. All men are cheap metal. And we know where North is. - Larry Miller