nafex - [NAFEX] European Pear Flavor and Rootstocks

  • From: "ROBERT W JUDY A HARTMAN" <hartmansfruit@msn.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] European Pear Flavor and Rootstocks
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:37:59 -0700

I have had some varieties of pears which ripened on OHXF333 and in another season ripened on a quince rootstock and the pears ripened on the quince rootstock had far better flavor.  Has it just been a fluke or possibly the season that caused that occurrence?  I never had them on the different rootstocks on the same year.  It has always be on different years so I don't know.  For me this has happened with Harrow Delight, Highland, Gorham, and Sierra.  Has anyone else had similar results?

Thanks,
Bob
Western Washington