nafex - [NAFEX] Apple bags vs. nylons

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apple bags vs. nylons
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2009 09:26:17 -0500

This year I tested "Apple Maggot Control Bags (nylon)" that I bought from Raintree versus Zip-Lock Bags with unbagged apples for a control. It will definitely be my last purchase of the nylon bags!
Both bag types were effective against Apple Maggot but fungi was a big problem with the nylon bags. Blotch and Fly Speck are problems here that affect the outer surface of apples. Both wash off with a bit of 'elbow grease' and a Scotch Brite pad but having to clean every apple is a nuisance and not cost effective.
Surprisingly, there was much more Blotch and Fly Speck on the nylon bagged apples than on the unbagged apples. Predictably, only a few apples with Zip Lock Bags had any and those that did had a small amount at the stem end. An exception was that the earliest summer apples (Beacon and Yellow Transparent) were not affected with the fungi.
In conclusion, it is nice that, unlike plastic bags that break down after being exposed to prolonged sunlight, the nylons can be reused again. I'll be using the nylons on my earliest summer apples and all others will be bagged with Zip Lock bags.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: