nafex - Re: [NAFEX] dwarf mulberry

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] dwarf mulberry
  • Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2009 12:10:08 -0600

I'm at 7000 ft in New Mexico. I've got an Illinois Everbearing and a variety from St Lawrence Nurseries called Northrup. They claim Northrup is hardier than IE, which I've always seen billed as the hardiest mulberry. As far as I can tell, it's true. My IE has been killed to the ground (so probably it's not even IE any more) a number of times and the Northrup has done fine, with only slight damage in the worst years. I've planted a new IE so I can observe the difference again.

So far the Northrup fruit is passable but not as sweet, large or juicy as IE.
Best,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Cutts Graduate Reviews
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)

Sheridan Shumway wrote:
the weeping mulberry only gets as high as you train it.....it seems to be a
very hardy variety surviving two of out brutal winters so far with the only
real protection being it fairly close to the south side of the house so it
doesnt get directly nailed by the north winds.....it has had a couple nights
of -60 air temps(without counting windchill) and have only experienced about
5-10% winter kill which isnt much given how fast it will grow....the berries
however seem to be small so far but it produces alot......the flavor is good
but kind of one dimensional as its mainly sweet with no tart like a raspberry
has to balance it....i have not had a chance to compare it to any other
mulberry as they arent native to the high plains and most cultivars say they
arent hardy to zone 4 so i havent tried them....

i also have a contorted mulberry it suffers closer to 20-25% winter kill but
to abundant quick growth in the spring its not a big issue and i think out
winters are just to cold for it and the flower buds in the wood die and it
never produces fruit here but its a cool looking bush that the grasshoppers
refuse to eat so i think im going to keep it around, and who knows, if we get
a mild winter one year i may get fruit...

both plants are from One Green World originally and if anyone has
successfully fruited other good tasting mulberry varieties in zone 4 i would
really be interested....

Sheridan S.
northeast Montana, zone 3 or 4

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**