nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sudden Apricot Death Syndrome?

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sudden Apricot Death Syndrome?
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 21:36:15 -0700

If you peeled the bark off near that gummy spot, you'd likely find the cambium dead all the way around the trunk. That kind of gummosis is common in the NW. It grows during the cool, wet weather of spring, then dries up in the summer. If can girdle limbs and trunks 3 inches or so in diameter or less, and makes oozing cankers on larger diameter wood of susceptible trees. The old treatment was to cut out the canker and paint the wound.
The disease is most common on apricots, peaches, European plums, and some American and hybrids. Also on Prunus tomentosa (bush cherry) and P. besseyi, the Sand Cherry of the plains.
You can replant in the same hole. The disease is spread through the air. Serious spraying and resistant varieties are your best bets.
-Lon Rombough
NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html View a short, low resolution clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Q58zFY0B1M
A video about The Grape Grower : http://cookingupastory.com/index.php/2008/04/18/the-grape-grower/