nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Spraying

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Spraying
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 07:55:23 -0500

Sounds like coddling moth. The larvae eat out the center in and around the
core then exit out the bottom barely leaving a mark. ... Those pears turn
yellow and ripen earlier than normal. They are still edible (I cut them up
before eating) but they don't have the best flavor compared to the others
that ripen normally.

Thanks, Steve! That fits the situation with my pears exactly. And yes, parts of them are still edible, just rather bland and uninteresting.

Knowing the problem will be a BIG help. I'll get a coddling moth pheromone trap next year, so that I can tell when spraying really needs to be done.

Perhaps I can cover the strawberry plants temporarily, when I really need to spray. This particular tree is very small. And I assume, from the extensive damage, that the larvae had been in there awhile (that they probably infested the fruit early in the summer).

If some of your pears are still on the trees, they may be worm free.

Unfortunately, the birds have recently pecked holes in most of those that remain. It didn't occur to me that they might like Asian pears. I don't know why, since they peck everything else that isn't netted.

Well, I guess I'll be buying another case of nets next year.

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Already we are in an era when no worthwhile skill is ever lost, if it can draw the eye of some small corps of amateurs. Today there are more expert flint-knappers than in the Paleolithic. More sword makers than during the Middle Ages. - David Brin