nafex - [NAFEX] fig question on Golden Celeste or yellow honey

  • From: Richard O'Barr <topgun@otelco.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] fig question on Golden Celeste or yellow honey
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:44:09 -0500

Anyone have either of these two figs that they could describe so that I can determine which one I have. It has produced like crazy!!!

Topgun

Bassem Samaan wrote:
Fig drop is caused by either lack of watering and extreme heat or for
varieties that require pollination such as smyrna and san pedro type.
You mentioned a hardy chicago which is a common fig and will set figs without pollination. So the reason we you're getting fruit drop is perhaps its root bounded in the container. A few requirements the fig needs to do well in a container. Good soil mixture, enough room for the tree to grow, fertilizer, watering, and sun. If its lacking one of these things than your tree will not grow the way it's designed to grow.