nafex - Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 79, Issue 84 -sweet corn

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] nafex Digest, Vol 79, Issue 84 -sweet corn
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:13:09 -0500

You have coons in the area? They will eat on the corn if they can get to it.

In the area, yes. But I'm sure they haven't been in my backyard. The stalks weren't damaged at all, and the ears weren't even removed, so it has to be something that's a dainty eater. :-)

Besides, I'm sure they wouldn't have left my grapes or other fruit alone. Bird-netting wouldn't stop them, surely.

I had a half-grown opossum in my backyard earlier in the summer, but I don't think it's been back (I do have electric wires around the yard). And I suspect that opossums would cause more damage, too. Maybe not, I don't know.

But I would just assume that it was squirrel damage, if it didn't look... wrong for that. And if it's wrong for squirrels, it's unlikely to be opossums or raccoons, I'd think.

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
Belligerence is the currency of the intellectually bankrupt. - Charles M. Blow