nafex - [NAFEX] cherry tree size

  • From: "Cabe, Paul" <CabeP@wlu.edu>
  • To: "nafex@lists.ibiblio.org" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cherry tree size
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 22:39:46 -0400

I recently pulled out the "Northstar" cherry trees that I bought last summer
at a local big-box home store. The trees produced a few mediocre fruits that
clearly did not look like a true Northstar (pale yellow flesh).

So, I went and bought two more from a local reputable nursery. These trees
are obviously grafted, and when I asked about rootstock, I was told "Mahaleb,
I think." I got to wondering about the effect of rootstock on overall tree
size in cherries. In apples (which I know better than cherries), rootstock
has a tremendous impact on tree size. How does this work in cherries? What
should I expect from my trees?

thanks,
Paul
Zone 6b, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

  • [NAFEX] cherry tree size, Cabe, Paul, 08/02/2009