nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Boxed Bumblebees

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Boxed Bumblebees
  • Date: Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:15:03 -0500

"they don't regenerate
themselves"

That's odd. Our bumblebees certainly do reproduce. they must be selling workers only, and that means the bees are intended only for one use on a crop that all flowers at once. I can imagine the bees getting out and working all day, but with no home to go to at night, I can't imagine what would be going through their tiny heads. Would they keep working hard all day gathering pollen? Or would they just go get enough to eat and sit around the rest of the day? Or do they go back to the box to join their buddies, and maybe build storage cells and unload into them? Donna

http://www.bumblebee.org/lifecycle.htm

http://www.bumblebee.org/lifecycle.htm

P.S. Ayers pears in town are ripe, gave away 3 bags of them at work, thought I'd failed to keep any for myself but I have a few. At home, Moonglow will be next, then Pineapple. There has already been a squirrel at work on my Pineapples. the Ayers tree in town is not near any easy squirrel highway, so apparently a squirrel has simply settled in to stuff himself till the crop is all done.