nafex - [NAFEX] figs ripening order

  • From: "Bassem Samaan" <bassem@gardener.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] figs ripening order
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:36:18 -0400

Last year I tried to keep track of the ripening order of the main crop of figs. Here are some of the fig varieties that I was able to document their ripening order. The ripening order of figs vary from location to location, from year to year, in-ground tree or container grown.

2008 ripening order

2008 has been average good year for figs so far. It had lots of sunny and warm days and not too much rain. I started picking Breba (first crop) figs in June. Naples White was a winner for taste among the first crop.

Here's the ripening order so far this year. This is a main crop, some I didn't mention because of they're either in the greenhouse or too young to bear.

8/15: Sal's fig

8/24: Dark Portuguese, Matta, 187-25

8/25: Rimaley, Long Yellow

8/26: Hardy Chicago

8/29: Celestial, MegaCeleste

9/5: Osbourne prolific, Blue Celeste, Blue Giant

9/9: Brooklyn White

9/13: Lebanese Red, Brunswick

9/15: Vista, Black Madiera

9/23: Brooklyn Dark