nafex - Re: [NAFEX] bark stripping

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] bark stripping
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:06:31 -0500

Normally wasps around here go for wooden sheds and fence posts to make their nests. Last year due to the huge fruit crop, there were large numbers of giant hornets, and they stripped bark off fruit tree branches. A number of branches on one plums were nearly killed by girdling low on the branch. And this spring I noted the top of a young persimmon tree was dead and cut it out. I discovered that several feet of a 1/2" thick leader had been stripped of bark. This was definitely NOT deer damage, as the dogs keep the deer away. Besides, there were plenty of easier and better things to eat than the bark high in a persimmon..... Donna