nafex - Re: [NAFEX] left-over pear scions - grafting help

  • From: "Kieran &/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] left-over pear scions - grafting help
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 22:57:38 -0500

Anton, Are you asking me how to do a splice graft? There's plenty of stuff on the Net on how to do grafting. You only want to do simple splice grafts or even better, bark grafts if your stock is larger than your scions. You want to do a nice neat job because your lively scions need to join up quick. Far easier for you to have a look see at some pictures than for me to explain. For your practice after looking at the pictures, go cut off a maple branch or some kind of fruit branch that needs pruning anyway and practice cutting them properly and fitting them together. Then rubber band them or tape them or whatever you are going to use. No sense in getting your initial practice on your valuable scions. THEN do your for real grafts. I'll tell you a secret, besides having your stock growing well, and that is that your cut is not a whittling motion from the wrist, it's made using the arm. I was quite surprised to come across that little peice of info in the last year. I get straighter cuts that way. I always used a utility knife because being a girl I didn't know how to sharpen knives properly. Last year I bought a real grafting knife and think I have learned to sharpen it correctly. I am getting a high percentage of takes this year, but having lots of rain is making a lot of the difference. There's absolutely no substitute for having strong growing stock. Donna