nafex - [NAFEX] second bloom on apple

  • From: seth jones <setjon@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] second bloom on apple
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:34:09 -0400

I've got an old apple tree on my property which I keep pruned and which is a biennial bearer. Not sure of the variety but delicious tart green fruit (great for cider). Anyway it blossomed heavily mid-May, set fruit which is now about 5mm in diameter. And is now about to bloom again. Not completely but lots of 1/2 inch pink buds all over the tree. I have never heard of or seen this happen before. Is it common? What could cause it? We have had a lot of late frosts (including 29 degrees on June 1!). Any ideas?
Seth Jones
Wits End Orchard
central Ny Zone 5