nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry sun scald or fungus?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Strawberry sun scald or fungus?
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 17:43:07 -0500

When's the last time you moved your strawberry patch? Strawberries do like
rotation, and you can get disease problems if they stay in one place too long.

I didn't plant them until the spring of 2006, so they haven't been there too long. But as crowded as my yard is with fruit trees, I'd have trouble moving them anywhere else. Well, no doubt I'd make room if I absolutely had to.

I do mow them off after they bear, and I usually remove half of them then. But considering how hot and dry it is here by then, they don't spread out very uniformly. I normally just end up living with whatever they decide to do. :-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The story of a theory's failure often strikes readers as sad and unsatisfying. Since science thrives on self-correction, we who practice this most challenging of human arts do not share such a feeling. - Stephen Jay Gould