nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ripe mango?

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ripe mango?
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 14:11:06 -0400

Ginda,

I've lived in a lot of places and have eaten fruit from all over and have to say I am a certified mango addict! Technically I have no experience growing them but eating them, oh boy, yes!

I find here in Canadian supermarkets you can basically find 2 distinct types available. One type is large and tends to have green/ red skin. Unripe more green, ripe more red. But I find you can't go on colour alone. I find it's all about smell, they should definitely be fragrant, and touch, they should give slightly if pressed gently with a finger. I find you can leave them out on the counter to ripen, but watch out because they can be slow and then, bam, they ripen quick like that. By the way, slightly underripe they can be great in a salad but the best salad is ripe mangoes and tomatoes cubed with a bit of olive oil, rice vinegar, salt and pepper and a hint of curry powder! Sounds bizarre I know but you have to try it, very refreshing in the heat of summer.

However my absolute favourite type of mango are smaller, yellowy-green skin when unripe turning to orange. In North America, the closest variety to this I have found is the Ataulfo mangoes from Mexico. They are quite small, but in my book they are so yummy ripe. Worth paying a little bit more for or waiting for the special.

Anyway, now I'm craving mangoes, I will leave you to enjoy yours!

Caren
Quebec
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>