nafex - [NAFEX] Strawberry sun scald or fungus?

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: NAFEX List <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Strawberry sun scald or fungus?
  • Date: Sun, 31 May 2009 08:05:45 -0500

As usual, when picking strawberries yesterday, I came across some with a soft, whitish, watery blotch on the berry. It's usually, but not always, on a ripe berry. I've always thought that was sun scald, but... something about it yesterday made me wonder about that. IS it just sun scald, or is it a disease or a fungus of some type? Some of the berries are pretty well covered by it.

I've never sprayed my strawberry patch with a fungicide (with anything, actually), because I don't ever see leaf spots. The biggest problem my strawberries usually have is not getting enough water. But I've run the sprinkler on them a few times recently, because it's been so very dry here lately (usually, I don't water them until after the strawberry season is over), so maybe that's causing some fungal problems. Yesterday, I did find more of these problems than usual.

So, anyone know what causes this?

Thanks,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected. - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama