nafex - [NAFEX] Cornus Mas, and other spring stuff

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Cornus Mas, and other spring stuff
  • Date: Sat, 2 May 2009 10:35:34 -0400

How about that, my Cornus Mas all have tags. They are Elegant, Jolico, and Pioneer. Elegant and Pioneer set a lot of fruit this spring, we'll see if any of it survives to ripen. Jolico is a few years younger, but bloomed this year for the first time, so I expect it to fruit in a year or two. It may not be a coincidence that Elegant finally set fruit the same year Jolico bloomed. (The two are close, and Pioneer is a ways downwind.)

The apricot set lots of fruit, but I expect to lose it again. Squirrels, curlicue, I don't know, but the fruits disappear before they ripen. I see some on the ground, but some just disappear. It's an attractive small tree, though.

The blueberries are covered in bloom, and I bought new netting, so I'm hopeful of a crop. Had the place sprayed (spinosad) for winter moth right before the flowers opened, so I hope I have some bees left. I did see a lone bumblebee working the dandelions the day after the tree guys showed up, so there's a good chance.

And I'm thrilled that my red currants not only made it through the winter, they seem not to have lost any branches to mystery blight. I usually lose a bunch of canes over the winter. Both the feral currant and Jonkheer Van Tets are covered with flowers.

Back outside to enjoy the fragrance.

Ginda