nafex - [NAFEX] miracle graft

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] miracle graft
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 15:37:24 -0400

I was putting some oil down at a site where I did some grafts on a couple huge hundred year old Macintosh trees 2 seasons ago.  One graft that never even sprouted a leaf the first or second season and I naturally assumed was dead sprouted a single flower bud this spring (would have prefered something vegetative, but hey).

Even more amazingly, it didn't even have any grafting compound over the open end of the scion- don't know if it fell off or I forgot to apply.  It was a relatively thick stick and we've had a couple of wet seasons but how could that wood have survived 2 summers and 2 winters waiting to sprout that singel bud.  I'm in z 6 so it had to avoid dehydration through some pretty cold months.  I will remove the flower as soon as it opens and see what happens.  I'm thinking of starting a new religion around this event if the scion makes it.

  • [NAFEX] miracle graft, Alan Haigh, 04/23/2009