nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Vitamin C in jelly myth?

  • From: "Bob Kelly" <bkelly66@bellsouth.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Vitamin C in jelly myth?
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 09:43:19 -0500

Jim,

There is little, if any, connection between melting point and solubility. L-Ascorbic acid is highly soluble in water. A Google search gave a number of abstracts for stability studies of Vitamin C with time, temperature, pH, etc. I was unable to find an absolute answer to the question, but the conclusions seem to be that low pH protects Vita C, but does not stop degradation with increased temperature and time. My guess is there would be substantial if not total destruction of Vitamin C with extended boiling.

Bob Kelly

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>