nafex - [NAFEX] Surround effectivity against pests

  • From: sherwin dubren <sherwindu@comcast.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround effectivity against pests
  • Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 16:54:22 -0500

Seems like there is lots of controversy concerning the
kaolite based spray Surround. I have never used it, but
I am interested in people's experiences in it's effectivity
in preventing damage from codling moths, apple maggot, and
plum curculio.

Seems like there are built in disadvantages of using this
organic spray as an insecticide, even if it possibly stops
the nasty critters. The recommendation is to frequently
agitate the tanks containing the mixture. I had problems
using powders such as Rotenone clogging up my hand sprayer.
If one adds a sticker (possibly needed to keep the powder
from washing off the fruit), that would increase the chances
of sprayer clogging.

Is timing of the spraying more critical with Surround than
with something like Imidan? I have heard that people need
to do repeated applications, maybe more often than with other
pesticides, to make this spray effective and get complete
coverage.

Sherwin Dubren