nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Liriodendron tulipifera, yellow poplar, tulip tree OT

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Liriodendron tulipifera, yellow poplar, tulip tree OT
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 13:51:05 -0400

"It's fast-growing, handsome, reasonably long-lived (150-250 years they
say), grows big, a great nectar producer, and easy to establish in the
right soils if there is adequate sun and moisture."

I share Doug's enthusiasm for this plant. They are common here in the
Piedmont of NC. I have seen both upright (the most common) and somewhat
weeping habits.

My only comment is that they tend to be brittle, losing limbs during
wind events. Plant them well away from valued structures!

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC