nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Rooting hormones and propagation

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: jas39a@earthlink.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Rooting hormones and propagation
  • Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 08:25:52 -0600

At 06:33 AM 3/6/2009, you wrote:
Lucky--Did you do this indoors (greenhouse), or outdoors? At which time of year?
Outdoors. In a pot of soilless potting mix. Late spring/early summer - I'd stuck 10-inch pieces of OHxF513 on top of a bundle of callery pear seedlings - actually, I double worked some - grafted a named cultivar onto the 513, and then put the combo piece on top of the callery. Anyway, I had a bunch of 513 left over, so I thought I'd try rooting 'em.
I need to line 'em out in a nursery row this weekend; shoulda done it earlier, but just didn't get around to it.

Cool! Tell Doug "hey", for me.
Looking forward to meeting you at the KNGA meeting.

LLP

This past Autumn, a friend of mine took cuttings (active, not dormant) from a couple of my pears and rooted them successfully with rootone. He did his in pots, using some type of shredded bark as a growing medium. I thought I'd just try to root them in my garden.

By the way, I'm working in the same office as Doug Hines now. He says he has some leftover OHxF rootstocks he'll let me have, so I can graft a few of the scions I brought with me from Maryland. He also says I can ride down to the Nut Growers' meeting with him.

Eddie Earles