nafex - [NAFEX] sugar maple and water

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] sugar maple and water
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 12:58:16 -0500

Here in the New England suburbs, grass grows up to the base of the oak
trees (white, red, black, scarlet) but there's typically a lot of bare soil
around the maples (sugar, red, and to a lesser extent norway). Silver
maples only grow in damper patches - it's common to see them at the edge of
a lake or stream.

My sense is that maples like a lot of water and compete vigourously for it.
___
Ginda
eastern MA
zone 6