nafex - [NAFEX] Tree syrup

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tree syrup
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 06:47:42 -0600

H?l?ne Deserault wrote, "I know for a fact that sugar maple need certain climatic conditions to perform best"

I have tasted maple syrup from several parts of the Country and, allowing for slight differences in the people who made it, it all tastes pretty much the same. There are other differences when tapping the various species of maple but, with the exception of Box Elder which has a different (but wonderful) taste, all maple syrup, regardless of which species it came from, that I have tasted, has been, unmistakably, maple syrup.
Some of the old timers claim that syrup coming from any species other than Sugar Maple isn't any good but ,when I press them, they admit they hadn't tasted any other and they learned their prejudices from other old timers.
As far as climatic conditions go, freezing followed by thawing is all that is required.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies, syrups and more: