nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Lucky's tree syrup

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Lucky's tree syrup
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 07:57:12 -0600

Alan,
While my hickory syrup is made sweet by adding sugar,
the walnut & butternut syrups in the NNGA article
were made in the same manner as those made by tapping
members of the genus Acer - collection of sap and
boiling to evaporate excess water.
I suppose one could tap other members of the
Juglandaceae - the hickories and pecans - but I'm not
sure that it would be a commercially viable
enterprise, and it might be that the environmental
conditions necessary for a good 'sap run' are just
not typically present in Southern pecan groves or
midwestern oak/hickory forests.
Lucky