nafex - [NAFEX] agronomy question

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] agronomy question
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2009 11:06:39 -0500

I know the rules are not to thank others on list but thanks anyway.

Those of you who believe blueberries can only be grown in pH under 5.5 are quite mistaken in my experience and the experience of many others, even on this list.  I'm talking about highbush varieties like Bluecrop and Berkely which I have seen thrive in rich soils high in organic matter with pH as high as 6.5.  I don't expect you to believe me unless you've seen it yourself because the literature is very clear that it isn't true.  It's pretty hard to screw up a simple pH test when you do it yourself if you are experienced.

I'm thinking it's doable to drive down the pH a point because I've often done it before in less alkaline soils.  As far as logarythms, is the suggestion there that it will take substantially more sulfur to change a 7.6 soil to a 6.6 than a 6.6 to a 5.6?

As far as the reliability of the tests that were sent to a laboratory, I double checked the pH of the soils and they tested at 7.2, which is as high as my kit goes.

As far as suggestions of replacing soil, I have considered that as an option from the get-go but I'm trying to weigh the alternatives and also maybe learn something.  The biggest question I have is how can a soil have a pH of 7.6 and be deficient in available calcium.  I'm guessing the calcium is tied up and if this is true will adding sulfur free it up somehow?  Or is something besides calcium driving up the pH, meaning I'll need sulfur and calcium sulfate?  I feel so ignorant at moments like these!  40 years a grower and still an ignoramus.