nafex - Re: [NAFEX] plums I'm not fond of

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] plums I'm not fond of
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 10:09:57 -0600

Alan,

You bring up and interesting point.  I've heard from a couple different sources, that a true green gage is hard to find.  Ram Fishman claims that the true European green gages were hybridized with Japanese plums in the 1950s and quality diminished.  Claims his green gage can be traced back to the early 1900s, before the hybrids, so it's a true European green gage.  I have one in the ground.  Green gage plums have come up on this list-serv before, and several people said they don't understand all the hype about them, that they weren't that great.  You specifically single out Japanese green gage.  Have you tried European green gage?  How would you rate them?  Also can you comment if they are as good when grown in places with hot summers (like here)?

Wynne,

I've heard a lot of positive comments about Elephant Heart, not only from you, but if I recall, Alan, you like them too.  I've been afraid to try straight Japanese plums here, but I'm surprised how many people seem to be able to grow them.  I've had one that bloomed about 2 weeks before most peaches, so I've been afraid to really try them, due to frost.  Relative to peaches, when does Elephant Heart bloom?

Mark
KS