nafex - Re: [NAFEX] native persimmon cultivars

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] native persimmon cultivars
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:49:17 -0500

Alan Haigh wrote:

Years ago I planted several grafted persimmons on my property but on a spot without enough direct sun- still the fruit was highly flavored with plenty of sugar- the problem was that the astringency never quite left the fruit no matter how ripe. I cut all but one of them down even though I realized I hadn't given them a fair chance as far as sunlight was concerned.

Were you picking them or letting them drop? Were they bletted until the point where the flesh might drop right through the skin? Persimmons can look ripe but still not be bletted enough to rid them of the astringency.

The one I left was supposed to be a John Rick as I recall, and I only left it because I never needed the space and it was much smaller than the other trees. Even though there are no males in the vicinity it bore some small seedless fruit for the first time this year and when they were dead ripe I shook them off the tree and tried a few. They were quite good.

best to let them fall on their own...maybe even a VERY gentle shake. Vigorous shaking can give you fruit to make ya pucker!

I have been told by others that native persimmons can be quite delicious and many prefer them to the Asian types which they consider bland in comparison.

Believe it. While I still eat asian persimmons, nothing compares to good ol' Diospyros virginiana with regards to sweetness and complexity.