nafex - [NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Wild persimmon tasting
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 12:05:27 -0600

This weekend I tried some wild persimmon. The fruits were about golf ball
sized and orange. The skin was slightly wrinkled and the flesh was soft.
They had a large seed in each one. Some had dropped on the ground. This is
the first time I've ever had a chance to taste some wild persimmon, and it
wasn't that good. The flesh was slimy. I would equate the taste experience
to eating a plum imported from Chile. Kind of a bland flavor, not all that
sweet, with a yucky texture.

My question is, do cultivated persimmon taste this way? I put in a Morris
Burton persimmon (and a mate) that is several years from fruiting, but if
it's anything like wild persimmon, I'd rather yank it out.

Thanks,
Mark
KS