nafex - [NAFEX] less vigorous pears and last picking date

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] less vigorous pears and last picking date
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:43:48 -0500

Almost any pear is less vigorous than Magness- it being a triploid.  It is a perfect pear to graft another variety on just to be sure it's adequately pollinated as well as to slow its vigor by turning the trunk into something else half way up the tree or so.  Tyson is a southern pear that would probably work well.  Up here where we don't get so much blight, Highland and Bosc are less vigorous choices.  Do you grow Seckel?  It would work as well and has some resistance.

Last possible picking date for apples depends on the cultivar.  I've seen Goldrush take it below 25 degrees F. undamaged.  Apples with high brix are harder to break down with freeze.