nafex - [NAFEX] apple disease diagnostician

  • From: "Michele Stanton" <6ducks@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] apple disease diagnostician
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 14:14:28 -0400

Are any of you good apple tree diagnosticians/pathologists?
A friend brough me a branch of a dwarf Gala apple tree with several interesting symptoms.
The trees are growing in sw Ohio.
There are patches of what look to me like maybe old fungal fruiting bodies, or maybe lots of sap mixed with insect frass, but they're now hardened black masses.
THese masses look like they could be at old sites of injury but hard to tell post-mortem. The disease masses are from 1" to 2 1/2" in diameter, on branches, hard, dark brownish black, very slightly crumbly under pressure, 1/4" to 1/2" high.

I could send a digital photo of these.

Many thanks
Michele

  • [NAFEX] apple disease diagnostician, Michele Stanton, 10/28/2008