nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cornus kousa

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cornus kousa
  • Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 08:58:14 -0500

I regard Kousa fruits as a curiosity to share with unsuspecting coworkers, and a famine food, at best.
I treat them much as I would a pawpaw - though edible pulp is present in much lesser amounts - I just 'massage' the fruit until soft, tear out the stem end, and suck the pulp out, discarding the leathery 'skin', while making sure I don't break a tooth on the hard little stone-like seeds.
Some years back, in a discussion of them here or on the GW forums, someone indicated that they experienced episodes of tachycardia(racing heartbeat) when they ate them.  I've never experienced that phenomenon, but I'll throw that out as a caution.