nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit preserves

  • From: "Mark Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit preserves
  • Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2008 18:42:59 -0500

Doug wrote:

" Around 1980 I read up on botulism and pH. It seemed that there was a
> little uncertainty about pH levels between 4.0 and 4.4, especially with
> high-protein materials like meat and beans. pH levels not over 4.0
> seemed to be regarded as safe. If you are canning anything but fruit
> puree or small chunks I would recommend that you read up on the latest
> scientific opinion, and think about pressure canning. I wouldn't take
> chances with botulism."

Good information Doug. Thanks.

I did have one question. I'd always heard canned goods are safe to eat as
long as the lid hasn't popped up. Is this true, or a myth?

Also I looked on line and found this website of pH values for various foods:

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~comm/lacf-phs.html

Here's what they have about peaches:
Peaches 3.30 - 4.05
Peaches, canned 3.70 - 4.20
Peaches, cooked with sugar 3.55 - 3.72
Peaches, frozen 3.28-3.35

I'm sure these values aren't absolute, so I think next time I make jam, I'll
go ahead and add a little citric acid. We add it to our salsa when we can,
to increase acidity for safety reasons. Based upon what you said about
lemon juice intensifying flavor, I wonder if citric acid would do the same
thing?

Mark
KS