nafex - [NAFEX] figs

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] figs
  • Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 13:46:19 -0400

I grow figs in-ground in Maryland. I have found aluminum bubble insulation to make an excellent covering if run all the way to the ground -- it lets the ground warmth come up and keep the plants 10-15 degrees warmer during cold spells. The insulation also reflects off the sun so on hot days it does not get too hot under the covering. Here is a picture of my figs covered:

http://www.slant.com/pictures/orchard/DSC_0027.jpg

They have taken -2F and come through with almost no damage. I use a normal stapler to build the cover from a roll of aluminum bubble insulation. I use ground staples to attach the cover to the ground, and a rope cinch around the waist to help the cover stay in place in high winds.

This covering ends up costing a bit more than other kinds of wrapping but I feel it is a safer and more reliable covering method. I don't pack any insulation under the cover, but people in colder zones could probably get even more insulation value by putting leaves etc under it.

Scott