nafex - [NAFEX] Skumk Amore

  • From: "Mark & Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Skumk Amore
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:12:06 -0500

There's a lot'a love out there, and I hate to be the one who wears the black hat, but I read skunks like to eat honey bees.  This may be a concern for you Jim, since you keep bees.  Apparently they scratch the hive at night, getting a few bees to come out, then snap them up.  They've done autopsies on skunks and found several bee stings in their throats that don't seem to deter the skunks.  The skunks don't kill the hive, just keep it agitated.  It might be an extra stress that makes it harder for the hive to thrive.

Mark
KS