nafex - [NAFEX] Inexpensive vacuum seal bags

  • From: "Kathryn Mathews" <kathmath@charterinternet.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Inexpensive vacuum seal bags
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 12:33:41 -0500

I bought that little vacuum device and accompanying bags available in the plastic storage bag section of the supermarket after reading some recommendations on this site.  It has worked very well for me but I was disappointed to find out that the bags aren't reusable, which greatly diminishes their appeal.  They have an small inner pouch that seems somehow to draw off excess moisture but seems almost impossible to dry out.  The fine print in the instructions indicates the bags are not to be reused, although the front of the box is misleading, saying they can be sealed over and over again, which is true only if you are removing part of your originally stored contents.  I'd be tempted to try to reuse them for things like frozen berries that haven't been sugared or treated in any way.  But when I used them for meat, the inner bag was full of blood and there is no way I would try to reuse something like that.  Just thought others might want to know this detail before considering this product.
Kathryn Mathews

This notice is required by IRS Circular 230, which regulates written communications about federal tax matters between tax advisors and their clients.  To the extent the preceding correspondence and/or any attachment is a written tax advice communication, it is not a full “covered opinion.”  Accordingly, this advice is not intended and cannot be used for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed by the IRS.