nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Summer Pruning

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Summer Pruning
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:07:45 -0400

An old apple grower from Normandie, who wrote a very technical book on pruning (in French), with illustrations describing every possible combination, in fact too detailed for practical application unless you want to do a phD on the subject of pruning, made one incredible comment on summer pruning: "Summer pruning is done by pinching with thumb and forefinger"... It prevents or twarth unwanted growth such as suckers, and other branches which you would definitely prune off next Spring. This way the tree spends its energy constructively (for your purpose) without spending energy on useless development. What it says basically is that in Summer pruning you mostly work on green growth before it lignifies and harden off. For instance, the suckers are told not to grow when you remove the tip end... The reaction of the tree is then to consolidate its position... You end up cajoling the tree instead of brutalizing it, while minimizing Spring pruning. The tree need not do major repairs to its wood... in Summer pruning, green branches can repair damages to their limbs almost overnight.

I am really not an expert on pruning, but I would like to bring up the interesting perspective that I found in this book. We have a tendancy to cut off with shears, knifes, and a multitude of other tools... making it more difficult for ourselves, while taking an attitude of working against instead of working within ... The time not spent dealing with the tools is time spent looking closely at the the phenomenon of growth.

It is clear that this approach is not for large orchardist with thousands of trees. It is also more difficult once the tree is big enough to require a ladder.

Just a words for thought, in this day and age, where we need to rediscover collaboration...

Hélène, zone 4

----- Original Message ----- From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>