nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Seeds not germinating

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Seeds not germinating
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 14:36:55 -0500

Jim, The trouble is that we have been planting squash and cukes at the normal time of year, and then planting again, and only then scratching our heads and wondering what's wrong. By now, the soil has warmed up. We can figure it out in retrospect, but it's too late to check the soil temp 3 weeks ago. I remember a year though when I planted sweet corn, then it turned chilly and rainy the first week of June. I did get out the soil thermometer that time, and realized my seeds were doomed. I do use it most years, but only when I am trying to hurry up and get things in early. When the calendar says the first of May, it's time to plant the warm season stuff here. The trouble is that May seems to have been later in arriving than the calendar claimed. Donna