nafex - [NAFEX] Tying trees up

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@tds.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Tying trees up
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 08:57:06 -0500

When I worked in a California nursery, we sold rubber strips, made from recycled tires for tying up trees. With every tree whose caliper wasn't what it should have been for its height, we sold three stakes recommending they be places around the tree, 1' away or more. The rubber strips were 1" to 1-1/2" wide cut from around the tire, sans bead, with holes at the ends for wire to attach to each post - three strips held each tree, each holding the tree from three different directions. The rubber strips were alot kinder to the trees than rope would have been.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: