nafex - Re: [NAFEX] yellow jackets?

  • From: "Dianne Stephany" <iluvdanc@rochester.rr.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] yellow jackets?
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 16:27:47 -0400

Hi Donna,

Unfortunately I am very familiar with yellow jackets- a couple of years ago they found a way to nest in the outside wall our house, and my husband in his infinite wisdom blocked it up. We then had yellow jackets in the house for months trying to find their way out.

I was surprised, too, so see him so early, I think it was a scout-- havent seen any since, but lots of wasps-- out early because we had 19 days of 70 and 80 degree weather. One day (I think the 15th) was 86 degrees!!! in APRIL! The average temp for April around here is 46, it was 40 degrees hotter than average. Today we are getting our first rain in 3 weeks and temps are dropping back down into the 40s and 50s with a possible freeze Tuesday night. Everything is in or has already bloomed so a bad freeze might be the end of our fruit for this year.

We have seen on the apples next to yellow jackets a yellow jacket- look-a- like that is twice the size and thicker in the middle. Havent ID'd it yet.

I did see one bumble bee yesterday, but still no honeybees.

Dianne in Rochester NY, Zone 5

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>