nafex - Re: [NAFEX] patio tomatoes

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] patio tomatoes
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 09:49:25 -0500

As far as varieties, I like Sungold best. It's not a "patio" size tomato,
it's a cherry tomato. However, it tastes fantastic.

I planted Sungold for the first time last year, and I agree that it's a great cherry tomato. But my plant took over the backyard (nearly). It was really vigorous, so I'm wondering how it would do in a pot.

Maybe just being in a pot would keep it small, I don't know. I'd be interested, if that's the case, because I've started some from seed again this year. But even from seed, it seems to sprout quicker and grow taller than anything else I've got. It's great in the garden, if you've got the room, but... I just don't know about on a patio.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
The inescapable fact of both science and reality is that that we never know everything, and never will. Yet this pervasive state of uncertainty hardly lessens the moral imperative to take whatever it is that we do know and use it to improve our lives. - Chris Mooney