nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Orchard planning

  • From: "Martha L. Davis" <martha_davis@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Orchard planning
  • Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 20:40:37 -0500 (EST)

I had a small backyard on the north side of my house in Illinois it was fine
for fruit. The sun both swings farther to the north in the summer in the
northern hemisphere (more so the farther north you are and I am clueless what
area we are talking about) and sun is higher in the sky. In Illinois it was
able to come over the roof of a one story house. Look up info on sun angles
for your latitude. There is a Nice section in Designing and Maintaining Your
Garden Naturally

For certain plants which tend to bloom too early and then get frosted (like
hardy kiwi and apricot) a shaded site for winter and early spring is useful.

Martha

  • Re: [NAFEX] Orchard planning, Martha L. Davis, 03/04/2008