nafex - Re: [NAFEX] So close....strawberries

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] So close....strawberries
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 22:47:33 -0500

On Mar 2, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Jim Fruth wrote:

A year ago, I got no snow here in North Central Minnesota. The frost
penetrated down 6', more is some places. I hadn't covered my strawberries;
I never do. The plants were just as healthy as ever and I got the same
amount of berries that I normally get. Honestly, I don't know what all the
fuss is about with people thinking they need to cover their strawberry
plants. You know, it is really difficult to kill a strawberry plant.
Could it be......................I have a soil test done every year to
keep my strawberries at optimal fertility. Could it be that strawberry
patches that aren't maintained at proper levels of fertility are the ones
that need winter protection? Possibility?

I wonder if it's freeze-thaw cycles, and not primarily minimum temperatures. Did your field stay solidly frozen all winter once it froze up the first time?

--Rivka
Finger Lakes NY; zone 5 mostly