nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sib-C peach seed

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sib-C peach seed
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 12:45:01 -0500

Jim, it was recognized that Siberian C was more cold-hardy than Bailey, but there were apparently other problems with it.

Maybe Minnesota is more consistently cold than southern Ontario. I was told years ago that the station at Vineland here had Sansin apricot (Manchurian, cold-hardy in southern Manitoba) for a while but that it suffered severely after our winter thaws although the historic low at Vineland is only minus 16 degrees F.

Dr. Hunter told me just now that Vineland or anyway the Ontario Fruit Testing Association has Chui Lum Tao and Tzim Pee Tao peach trees but that no seed was collected from them last year. He said that Ontario peach tree propagation has reverted pretty much entirely to Bailey seedling roots.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Jim Fruth wrote:
Doug Woodard said, "Siberian C is now regarded as obsolete for rootstocks. Those who want
something more cold-hardy than Bailey........................"

Doug,
Someone told me that before so I got some Bailey Peach seed from Harrow and quickly learned that Bailey will not stand up to Minnesota Winters. Every one that grew winterkills down to the snow-line every year, even after our mildest winters - A mild Winter here doesn't drop below -25 F. Sib-C, on the other hand, stands up quite well, even through our coldest Winters. Go figure?

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
For jams, jellies & syrups: