nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Siberian C peach seeds

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Siberian C peach seeds
  • Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 01:24:55 -0500

The Western Ontario Fruit Testing Association (then based at Harrow) used to sell seed for rootstocks back in the 1980s. It has become the Ontario Fruit Testing Association and is now based in the Niagara Peninsula. I wouldn't be surprised if it still sells rootstock seed.
I will try to get the contact information.

Siberian C is now regarded as obsolete for rootstocks. Thoae who want something more cold-hardy than Bailey are recommended to try Chui Lum Tao or Tzim Pee Tao, which Harrow and Vineland have worked with. See

Peach and Nectarine Cultivars [for Ontario]

http://omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/07-041.htm

From memory I think the problems with Siberian C had to do with entry and exit from dormancy, such that the advantage from its better midwinter coldhardiness was balanced by greater proneness to cold injury in fall (and spring?).

WOFTA also sold seed of Haggith apricot, which Harrow had selected as suitable for seedling rootstocks for apricot in southern Ontario. I heard that the original tree of Haggith had been found thriving on an old manure heap, a severe test for an apricot.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario

derry&bill wrote:
Does anyone know a source of Siberian C peach seeds?

Derry

Bill Chase & Derry Walsh
Aldergrove. B.C., V4W 2E6
604-856-9316