nafex - [NAFEX] Maple sirup making

  • From: Ray Kaminski <r-jkaminski@att.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Maple sirup making
  • Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 12:54:46 -0600

Mark asked about the making of maple sirup and I would like to make a comment. I used to make quite a bit of it and I got my training from an old timer about 40 years ago. First when we tapped early in the spring (February)you got about a gallon of sirup from 35 gallons of sap . As the season goes along it drops and by the time we pulled the taps usually by April 15th it took about 90 gallons of sap. It becomes a lot of boiling to evaporate that amount of water but there is not a lot of other projects going on at that time of year. Next when you are finishing it to the right consistency you should have a thermometer in it during the day to find out at what temperature it is boiling. This may sound strange but you will find that it will boil at a different temperature each day. This depends on the specific gravity for the day. Water supposedly will boil at 212 degrees but the sap will boil anywhere from 208 to 216. If you know what it boiled during the day when you want it judged in fairs or exhibits you want it finished at 7 degrees above what ever temp it boiled that day. It takes out any guess work on when it is done and it comes out without a burnt taste and a pretty color. You then strain (filter) the sugar sand out of it, bottle it, give away most of it and have a happy feeling of job well done. Have some on vanilla ice cream and your work will not be for naught! We never put in more than 2 taps in any one tree regardless of size. That might of been because we had enough trees to choose from. Ray

  • [NAFEX] Maple sirup making, Ray Kaminski, 02/24/2008