nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Looking for Red Pear scions

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Looking for Red Pear scions
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:25:01 -0800

FWIW, some years ago Oregon State U. evaluated a bunch of red sports of various varieties, such as the Red Clapps, and all of them were lower in vigor and less productive than the normal, uncolored strains. I tried a few red sports and found pretty much the same thing. It's unclear if varieties actually bred for red color would have better productivity. There has surely been work on that in the intervening years if someone knows of it.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com